Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

6 Ways To Be Physically And Mentally Healthy

how to become physically and mentally healthy


How  often do you prioritize your health? Once? Twice? Or rarely since you're too occupied with work and other tasks?

Did you know that it's more than just eating the right food and having a regular exercise? If not, don't worry -- you're not the only one guilty.

I always strive to balance everything -- work, motherhood, and a healthy life, not mention, the mental part. I tried eating salads, workout at least twice or thrice a week, read, and socialize but I always find myself burnt out. A few months ago, I was having dark thoughts (you know, suicide and all), my mood swings like a pendulum, often, I palpitate without any reasons, and all I wanted is to visit a doctor. I tried once but I didn't know that I need an appointment so I went home with nothing. Then I got sick for a week.

As a mom, you just can't file a sick leave even when you feel like you want to be hospitalized. Thus you need to take care of yourself all the time so you'll be able to take good care of your little one. Luckily, I found ways -- small, simple ways -- to be a little physically and mentally healthier. Here are a few handful of habits you can try now!

Let's Go Physical, Physical!

Keep Yourself Hydrated

lemon mint water to keep yourself hydrated

"Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day" is one of the overused phrase in the history, but admit, you're not taking as much liquid as you need. If you want to keep yourself hydrated, you can start by taking a glass or two of water after you wake up, before you take a breakfast. This helps replenish the water you lose while you sleep. Plus, it's good for digestion. You can also make it a habit to drink another glass of water before lunch or dinner. Besh, it's one way to feel full if you don't want to overeat. C'mon, give it a try if you want to lose weigh. 

If you're not a fan of plain taste, you can add a slice of lemon and cucumber -- or even mint -- to your water. Check this photo out to see how our pee should look like:
how pee should look like

P.S. You can buy a tall tumbler for water and place it beside you. And. Don't. Forget. To. Drink

Have An Active Lifestyle

do yoga and be active

Move as much as you can. It's more than just having a 30-minute cardio or enrolling yourself in a yoga class. If you can walk at least 20 minutes a day, then do so. One easy trick is to turn on the music and dance while cleaning, cooking, or doing a household chore. You don't need to be a Jessica Alba to display awesome moves. All you need is to unleash your inner child and enjoy the music. 

Meanwhile, if you want to incorporate workout as part of your routine at home and you got no time for gym, subscribe to a YouTube channel like Blogilates. Man! This girl knows how to kill every muscle in your body in less than 10 minutes. Plus, she's a damn good motivator!

Serve Fresh Fruits And Vegetables In Every Meal

eat fruit and vegetable to be healthy

I know not everyone's a fan of vegetables, especially the green leafy ones so if you want, you can choose to add fruits instead. Meanwhile, if you have no problems with veggies, include it in every meal, even snacks. Replace rice with cauliflower every dinner, nibble on carrot sticks, or add a handful of spinach in your shakes or omelets. 

You can also search amazing recipes that will make your veggie meal more appetizing and attractive. 

Mental Health Is Wealth!

Meditate

meditate

I admit it, I tried meditating several times but I just can't do it. What I do instead is work on my breathing. I downloaded an app called "Calm" and try do what it says. It helps when I'm tensed or when I'm palpitating.

If you are into meditating or you want to learn, you can download a free guided meditation online. Basically, all you need is to give your mind the quiet time it needs so you can think clearly and feel better somehow. Walking is also a good alternative if you feel stressed.

Do A Social Media Detox

social media detox

If that means deleting Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter apps, then do so. Taking your time away from social media is one of the simplest ways to give yourself a timeout from stress.

It worked for me. I've been away from FB world for a month and it felt good. The reason is, sometimes I see things that would trigger my emotions negatively, that would send me spiraling and questioning things in life. I noticed a huge difference after a quick hiatus.

Not fond of deleting apps? You can try reducing the time checking on your social media or keeping your phone at least an hour away before you sleep and doing other things that would make you busy such as writing a poem, reading, or involving yourself in crafts.

I don't really recommend deactivating because as we all know, our social media is still one way to connect and re-connect with our loved ones.

P.S.
Discipline is the key. *wink wink

Just Be Happy

be happy

I know it's hard for most people suffering from mental illness. I can't guarantee any solution other than seeking medical assistance. My friend, do not be afraid to speak. Someone out there is ready to listen. You can send me a message if you want someone to talk to.

Otherwise, do something that makes you happy -- and that won't even require you to spend a dime. 

For me, I visit YouTube and watch a bunch of funny videos (yes, mababaw ako), take my kid out on a playdate (riding a slide, diving in a ball pit, and being a kid for a while is super fun), or even drinking a bottle of beer and putting on a reggae playlist helps. Whatever it is that makes you happy, try to incorporate it at least once a day. You deserve it, trust me YOU DO!

Well, these are just some of the things you can do but the list goes on. Find out what it is that will give you a healthy lifestyle. You can go out and explore or stay home and do a quick research. There are a lot of options and sky is the only limit.

How about you? What are the things you do and don't do to keep yourself healthy? Please feel free to share your thoughts below. We'd love to hear it!

And if you like my list, feel free to share it with your loved ones! Cheers!

Post a Comment

0 Comments